Screening Students and Staff for Symptoms > Return
Schools need to determine that students and staff who are returning to school following experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19 or who have had confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection meet approved criteria before returning to in-person school activities.
The school nurse's role is to partner and support school district administration in creating guidance in cooperation with public health and clearly communicating the guidance to families and staff.
- Development of guidance including time-base strategy criteria (isolation or quarantine requirements) for individuals returning to school (e.g. symptoms associated with COVID-19, exposure to COVID-19, and returning after confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection).
- Development of guidance including symptom based criteria for individuals returning to school (e.g. symptoms associated with COVID-19, with a confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection).
- Consider COVID-19 testing requirements for individuals returning to school based on local and state testing availability and school system and public health requirements (e.g. symptoms associated with COVID-19).
- Consider return to school criteria for individuals who are severely immunocompromised or experienced severe SARS-CoV-2 infection.
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations, ordinances, and other sources of authority, including district and school policies and procedures, and applicable standards of practice.
Activating the Planning for the Next Normal at School Playbook
Can I Send My Student to School? Interactive activity
Discontinuation of Isolation for Persons with COVID-19 Not in Healthcare Settings
Discontinuation of Transmission-Based Precautions and Disposition of Patients with COVID-19 in Healthcare Settings
Duration of Isolation and Precautions for Adults with COVID-19
Getting Schools Ready For In-Person Learning: How to Plan and Execute a COVID-19 Mitigation Walkthrough
COVID-19 Interim Guidance: Return to Sports | American Academy of Pediatrics
Youth Sports and COVID-19: Understanding the Risks | Healthychildren.org by the American Academy of Pediatrics
Continuing Learning: Playbook for Healthy School Communities | Kaiser Permanente
Resources Shared by School Nurses
See what school nurses have developed or are sharing in NASN's online discussions.