This activity is part of NASN's Virtual Hill Day. Learn more about this 3-day event.
Call your Representative or Senator and ask them to co-sponsor the NURSE Act (Nurses for Under-Resourced Schools Everywhere Act) HR 2606/S 1362. Call the Capitol Switchboard and ask to be connected to your Congressman or Senator at 202-225-3121.
Use these talking points
- As a constituent and a school nurse, I know how important it is that children have their health needs met at school.
- According to national data, only 39 percent of schools employ a full-time school nurse, while 35 percent of schools employ a part-time school nurse. Twenty five percent of schools do not a have a school nurse at all.
- The NURSE Act would give grants to increase the number of school nurses in Title I schools where there is not already a school nurse.
- Between 15 and 20 percent of children in school have a chronic condition, such as asthma, diabetes, food allergy, seizure disorder or other health conditions. Today’s children face greater health needs than in past generations.
- Additionally, school nurses spend 32 percent of their time on mental health issues of their students.
- School nurses help keep students safe, healthy and ready to learn. Please co-sponsor the NURSE Act HR 2606/S 1362.