Happy Earth Day from the Colorado Association of School Nurses.
In recognition of Earth Day, consider what we can do to ensure that NASN2019 is a Green Meeting. A Green Meeting strives to “Leave no Trace” by eliminating or minimizing negative impact on the environment. Improve your health and the health of Mother Earth while you’re at it!
Here are the top 10 things you can do.
- Most important, care for yourself-rest, exercise, eat for energy, health, and focus! It’s true, when you take care of yourself, you are better able to take care for others and this includes caring for our Mother Earth!
- Come to the morning exercise options and check out the outdoor walking paths. Access to nature improves health and wellness!
- Choose foods that are good for you and good for the planet. Plant-based foods have less impact on the environment and eating more of them is a critical step in reducing negative effects on the planet.
- Consider opting out of housekeeping for a day, or two, (or three!). Laundering and chemicals used for cleaning have negative impacts on the environment.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle. For example, use paperless options for check-in and out, look for recycle bins in your room and in the meeting area, when available use cloth instead of paper napkins, reusable plates and silverware instead of disposables.
- Go plastic free-bring a reusable water bottle.
- Consider taking the Plastic Free Pledge. Read this to learn why.
- Use public transportation. Check out the every 30-minute shuttle to the Light Rail!
- Turn off lights, heat, and air conditioning while not in hotel room.
- Participate in the NASN 2019 Service Project. See Project Worthmore Care Project Program.
- Donate used amenities from your hotel room (soap, bottles, etc.)
- Bring an old t-shirt or pillowcase from home to the Service Project and make a DIY tote!
- Bring items from home to donate to the Care Project Program.
- Heard about carbon offsets? Maybe this trip is your time to check it out. Click here for an overview of this concept and options to participate.
And one more, tweet your healthy choices at NASN 2019 using the hashtag #HealthySchoolNurse! Please post your comments on this blog and help build our list of ways to make NASN 2019 a Green, Healthy meeting!
Inspiring the World through Green Meetings: More information from the Gaylord Rockies.